On Xbox consoles, you have two modes, One is Retail mode and the other one is Dev mode. The Dev mode makes your console into a development kit. So the users can develop universal Windows apps with the Xbox console. When you buy a retail console, your console will be in retail mode by default. So you need to activate the Xbox Dev mode.
When the Xbox console is in Dev mode, you can’t access any retail games and apps on your console. So, when you are done with the development, you have to deactivate the Dev mode on your Xbox console. Before getting into the steps, make sure that you have an account in the Microsoft Partner Center.
How to Activate Dev Mode on Xbox Console
1. Turn on your Xbox console by pressing the Power button.
2. Navigate to the Xbox dashboard.
3. Select the Store icon from the dashboard.
4. Search for the Dev mode activation app using the on-screen keyboard.
5. Select the app from the search results and click the Download button.
6. Next, click the Confirm button to install the app on your Xbox console.
7. Once the installation process is over, navigate to the My Games & Apps section on your Xbox console.
8. Then, tap the Apps tile.
9. Now, open the Dev mode activation app from the list of available apps.
10. Once you open the app, a disclaimer will appear on the screen. Read it carefully and click the OK button.
12. Then, you can see the Xbox Dev activation code on the screen.
13. Now, open a web browser on your computer and navigate to the Developer mode activation page.
14. Sign in with your Microsoft Partner Center account.
15. Now, you have to purchase the Individual plan or Company plan.
16. After the purchase, enter the Xbox Dev activation code and tap the Activate button.
17. If you are done with the process, open the Dev Mode Activation app and click the Switch and restart button.
18. Now, you can use the Dev Mode Activation app to create a new game.
Frequently Asked Questions
Open the Dev mode activation app on your Xbox console. On the home screen, click the Leave Dev mode option and restart your console to get the console to Retail mode.
No, the Dev mode is not free. You need to register for an individual or Company account with the Microsoft Partner Center, which costs $19 per month.