Avast helps protect the device against viruses and malware with its security system. Similar to McAfee and Windows Defender, a notification would alert us when spyware or adware-infected apps are downloaded on your device. In addition, Avast secures your device against phishing attacks from email and infected websites. Using the Avast antivirus can protect the device while using public Wi-Fi. But, you might have to activate the Avast antivirus on your device. It is done mainly to prevent piracy using the avast serial number as you can only use an account on one single device. It offers both free and premium versions of Avast with different features they can access. So, the activation process varies with respect to your device, including Windows, Mac, or Phone.
How to Activate Avast Premium on a PC
In general, there are two methods to activate your Avast premium. The first method is to activate using the Avast activation code, and the second is to enable it via an Avast account.
Steps to Activate Avast with Activation Code
1. First, find your Avast activation code on the order confirmation mail you received from Avast.
2. For activating the antivirus, open the Avast Premium security on your PC.
3. Navigate to the Menu button at the top-right corner and click on the Enter activation code option.
4. Next, type the activation code in the given field and tap the Enter button.
5. Select Avast Premium Security and click the Activate&Install button to activate it on your PC.
Steps to Activate by Signing in to Avast Account
1. Open Avast Premium Security on your device.
2. Tap on the Menu option and click the Sign in button.
3. Now, the default browser of your device will open up.
4. If the account appears on the screen is associated with your Avast Premium security subscription, click the Yes, Continue button.
5. Or tap Sign in as Someone else to sign in with your Avast Account that contains your Avast Premium account.
6. Tap the Continue button.
7. Next, click Open Antivirus to reopen Avast Antivirus.
8. Select Avast Premium security and hit the Activate&Install button to enable Avast on your PC.
Steps to Activate Avast Premium Security with Sign-in Key
If you cannot activate it by signing in with your Avast account, you can use the Sign-in Key license to activate the antivirus.
1. Open Avast Premium security and click on the menu option.
2. Locate and Sign in to your Avast Account and proceed further by clicking on the Continue button.
3. Hit the Get a Sign-in Key instead link.
4. Click the Copy to Clipboard button.
5. Navigate to the Avast Premium security.
6. Tap Enter the sign-in key from your browser option.
7. Paste the sign-in key and hit the Continue option.
8. Finally, select Activate&Install to activate Avast Premium Security on the PC.
How to Activate Avast Premium on Mac
1. First, open the Avast Premium Security on your Mac. You can download Avast for Mac on their website.
2. Tap the Menu icon, which you can find in the top right corner.
3. Select the My Subscriptions option from the drop-down menu that appears on the screen.
4. Now, type the Activation code you received with the confirmation mail in the given field and tap the Activate button.
5. Finally, the Avast Premium security is in the Active state. If you want to install any other product associated with the code, select the product and click the Install button.
Steps to Activate by Signing in to Avast Account
1. Open the Avast Premium security and click the Menu icon.
2. Tap the sign-in button to sign in with your account.
3. Now, the default safari browser on your Mac will open.
4. Next, click the Yes, Continue button.
5. Or tap Sign in as someone else and log in with the account associated with your Avast Premium Security subscription.
6. Next, click the Open Avast Security button.
7. Finally, you can see the status of your Avast antivirus account is active.
How to Activate Avast Mobile Premium Subscription
If you have purchased the Avast mobile security premium through the Google Play Store or App Store, Avast will be activated automatically. However, if you purchase it from the Avast sites, follow the below steps to enable it manually.
Steps to Activate Avast Mobile Premium on Android
You can activate Avast Mobile Premium using the activation code and Avast account on an Android device.
Activate Avast Using Activation Code
1. Open the Avast mobile security on your mobile.
2. Click the Upgrade button on the top right corner.
3. Tap the three dots more icon and select Already purchased?
4. Choose the Use an Activation code option.
5. Type the activation code in the given field. Click the Continue button to activate it on your mobile.
Activate Avast Using Avast Account
1. Open Avast Mobile security and click the Upgrade button.
2. Tap the more icon and hit Already purchased?
3. Choose the Restore from Avast Account option.
4. Tap the Email tile.
5. Type the email address and password and click the Sign In button to enable Avast on your mobile. Alternatively, you can log in to the Avast account using Facebook or Google.
Steps to Activate Avast Mobile Premium on iPhone/iPad
1. Open the Avast Mobile Security app on your iPhone or iPad.
2. Click the Upgrade button and select Already Purchased?
3. Tap the Enter Avast Subscription code tile.
4. Type the activation code in the box and click the Ok button.
5. Tap the Ok button again to complete the activation process.
Activate via Avast Account
1. Open the Avast Mobile Security app and click the Upgrade button.
2. Tap Already Purchased? on the next screen.
3. Click the Sign-in tile.
4. Type the Email address and password and tap the Confirm button.
5. Finally, hit the Ok button to complete the activation process.
How to Activate Avast Free Antivirus on Windows
1. First, turn on your PC or computer. You can download Avast for windows on their website.
2. Right-click on the Avast icon on the Windows taskbar.
3. Select Registration information from the menu that appears on the screen.
4. Tap Upgrade Now on the My Subscriptions screen that you can find next to Avast Free Antivirus.
5. Click the Select button on the Avast Free Antivirus section.
6. If you couldn’t find the select button, the Avast free Antivirus is already activated on your Windows PC.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Avast Premium security costs $49.99 annually with the 30-day free trial. And the Avast ultimate costs $79.99 per year.
On Windows 10, right-click on the home screen and navigate to the Avast Shields Control. By clicking on it, you will have the option to disable it temporarily for 10 mins, 1 hour, until you restart the system or disable it permanently.
It happens during a large update done to the Avast antivirus. However, it would happen with the permission of the user to apply the changes over the system.
Being an antivirus, the basic job is to protect the device from viruses and malware. So, yes, the free version detects, blocks, and removes the threats in the system.
The firewall is the shield that protects the device. So, a disabled firewall can be a major threat to your system. If it is not working, try reinstalling the software to check if the issue is fixed.
The users can use the VPN option along with the Avast antivirus subscription.